Thursday, March 02, 2006

Chinese takeout

Yesterday I was talking to my friend Karen in the office about one of our favorite topics, contemporary Chinese movies, when another officemate butts in on the conversation with an exasperated, "Oh, dear God! Are you two yakking about Chinese movies again?! I just don't understand why you like them so much!" Or words to that effect. I think there was even some cussing at some point. Various friends and acquaintances have wondered about my penchant for Chinese movies. One smart-aleck friend even ascribed it to F4 mania, which was how some officemates became hooked on Cantopop. Well, I have never watched a single episode of the cheesy Meteor Garden, although judging from the Chinese movies I've seen, I might as well be guilty of screaming for F4.

So back to the original question: Why do I like Chinese movies so much that I even ask friends who go to HK to buy me DVDs? The short and easy answer is: The movies can be addicting. And even the worst of the movies, and believe me, the worst can make a bad Tito, Vic, and Joey pelikula look like an Oscar contender, there's always a quirk or a twist in the plot that elevates it from the humdrum. And that's why I like Chinese movies.

In my humble opinion, there are only four major film industries in Asia: the Bollywood machinery, Pinoy showbiz, the Japanese entertainment juggernaut, and the Chinese Cantopop conglomerate. Now, with Pinoy showbiz going the way of the dogs, it makes sense to look at what our neighbors have been doing in terms of movies. Right now, Korea also has a very vibrant movie industry. And I think that's a good thing. We shouldn't always be looking toward Hollywood for direction, especially since Hollywood these days is importing its story ideas and its actors from Asia.

In college, I remember being blown away by Wong Kar-Wai's Chungking Express, which is still for me one of the best movies I've seen. I saw it in a film criticism class and until then, I've always thought in my little insular world view that Asian film, with the exception of Pinoy cinema, couldn't compete with Hollywood. I was wrong. My officemate Karen, on the other hand, got a crash course of Chinese film, after watching Infernal Affairs. There was no going back for her after that.

So. Here, some Chinese films, in no particular order, that I think are standouts. Try them out and bask in the quirkiness:

Chungking Express directed by Wong Kar-Wai Three stories are woven seamlessly into one narrative. A good intro to Chinese movies, purely for its kinetic pacing and kaleidoscope portrayal of life in Chungking. There's everything in this movie: an action segment about a drug deal gone wrong; romance--a lovelorn cop pining for his ex-girlfriend while searching for and then eating canned pineapple that expires on May 1 because that was their anniversary, a food attendant who secretely loves another cop who is in turn abandoned by his flight-attendant girlfriend; even an open-ended (sort of) happy ending. Characters move in and out of each others' lives and affect each others' stories, much like how it happens in real life.

Days of Being Wild, In the Mood for Love, and 2046 directed by Wong Kar-Wai. The thing about Wong Kar-Wai is, he gets obsessed about a particular story or mood. I've grouped these three movies together because they seem connected somehow. Aside from the obvious time period (all three movies are set--or partly set, as in the case of 2046--in the 1960s), the characters seem to be the same people. It's as if WKW is obsessed with telling and re-telling the same story again and again. The baffling thing is: it all works! I don't know how he does it.

Infernal Affairs I, II, III The first movie revitalized the Hong Kong film industry in 2002. Starring two of the best actors of HK cinema, IF is a taut thriller that will have you hanging on to the edge of your seat. Unlike Hollywood thrillers, there's virtually no car chases or explosions in this movie. This is one movie that I really feel we could do, if we were inventive enough and not rely of formula. The premise is deceptively simple: A cop goes undercover to infiltrate the Chinese Triad while the Triad plants a mole in the police force. It's a cat and mouse game as both try to find out each others' identities. The success of the first movie, inspired two sequels, which considering that there were no plans for sequels, are seamless continuations of the original movie, and as stylishly made. In fact, IF is so stylishly made that Hollywood has taken notice. Martin Scorsese is currently in post-production right now with a remake of IF entitled The Departed, starring Leonardo di Caprio and Matt Damon as the two leads. Word has it that Scorsese did not deign to watch the original movie before making the remake. From a lesser director, such a move would be considered pure hubris. But this is Scorsese, after all. If there's anyone who can be trusted to make a superior remake, it'll be him.

To be continued...

Comments:
Infernal Affairs was crazy! Totally blew my mind away. Parts 2 & 3 gave me a headache though. When I heard Scorsese was doing a remake, my first thought was "oh crap". Then again, like what you've said, if anyone can pull it off, it's Marty.

BTW, I know it's not Chinese but have you seen Old Boy? Also pretty intense as any good Asian crime noir should.
 
Hey, Markie!
I'm trying to get a copy nga of Old Boy and two other films by the same director. It's supposed to be part of an (unintended) trilogy. Will hunt it up in Quiapo soon. Another reason I'm so familiar with Chinese cinema is that it's easier to get copies of their movies, unlike Korean films, which is still dominated by Korean telenovelas--at least, dito sa Pinas. If only so that I get to watch movies they don't show in the cinemas, I'm glad we have such a burgeoning cottage industry in fake DVDs here, hahaha!

And yes, Infernal Affairs was crazy. Have you seen One Nite in Mongkok? Watch it!! The movie blew my mind, too!
 
Yeah I think it's Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and Lady Vengeance which just came out in theaters. Ironic thing is, half a world awar, our local neighborhood Tower Records has a decent section of foreign language films and tons of Asian movies. Kelangan ko pa umikot ng Quiapo para lang makahanap ng Kurosawa movies.

Thanks for the tip on One NIte in Mongkok. Have to check that out.
 
Ey where's part2?
 
Ay, sorry, Carrie! Soon. It's in the works. I'm trying to trim it down. baka nga may part3 na eh. But you guys might kill me na
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?