Friday, May 05, 2006

One is the loneliest number

No, I'm not angsting...well, maybe a bit. Last Friday was my last day at MMPI and the editorial people threw a surprise party for me. I was so touched! Didn't expect a send-off because I've been pretty vocal all week about preferring not to have one. I hate goodbyes and didn't want anyone to know I'm such a crybaby, I guess. But of course, they went ahead and planned one anyway at the local dive on Emerald (90proof). Turned out to be a great party. They made me a scrapbook with all their good-luck messages and letters and pictures. I have to admit that I cried. Kasi naman eh! My friends started crying and it's been scientifically proven that crying can be contagious. Really. Well, I'm sticking to that story, anyway.

My last day couldn't have come at a worse time, actually. It seems that the lives of my nearest and dearest are all in flux. Carrie was in Oz, Ka was leaving for Singapore, Isa was in CDO, another friend just relocated to Cebu for a job, one was in London and other friends were either not in the country or shortly about to leave for somewhere. I was getting abandonment issues!

So what will I be doing with my life now that I've shaken the dust of Manual off my feet? Well, on to the next job, of course. Although not for several weeks, I guess. Much still needs to be discussed and I'm waiting for word on this. Wish I could make a living writing part-time. A friend once mentioned a travel magazine she wants me to have a role in. Now, that would be an ideal job! Writing for a travel magazine. You get the best of both worlds--traveling at somebody else's expense and the pleasure of coming home. That's the best part, I think.

What I'm watching right now: NUMB3RS. "Math is nature's language. Its method of communicating with us. Everything is numbers."--Dr. Charles Eppes. What an eye-opener! This is a series about an FBI special agent (Rob Morrow--the neurotic Dr. Fleishmann in Northern Exposure, hands down one of the best TV series for me) who gets his genius math professor younger brother, Charlie (David Krumholtz--Mr. Universe in Serenity, and Heath Ledger's sidekick in 10 Things I Hate About You) help him solve crimes. (BTW, as a digression: I also loved these two movies. Serenity is from Joss Whedon the guy who gave us Buffy the Vampire Slayer and 10 Things was I think a pretty decent adaptation of The Bard's Taming of the Shrew.) I particularly like it when the math genius in the show, Dr. Charlie Eppes, explains complicated mathematical concepts even a numbers-challenged moron like me can understand. This show brings out my very well-hidden inner math nerd. And one thing? For eye-candy, I can do worse than Rob Morrow and David Krumholtz. Apparently fans of the show feel the same. In some for this show, the jeans that Rob wears when the FBI goes on a raid even has a name: The Jeans of Justice!

What I'm reading now: The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins. Carrie's been raving about this book so when I saw it at a Booksale in Megamall for P50, I grabbed it. I'm just in the first chapter but it seems like a suck-you-in read. Just what I like.

Comments:
hey where are you off to?
 
Hey, Markie!

I'm going to Hinge Inquirer Publications (HIP, natch!), lifestyle magazine arm of the Inquirer group. :)
 
Jason, what's the "great choice"? My chosen career path? TV show I'm watching, the book, what? ;)
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
JDV!--Thanks! Well, you know me, I like start-ups, hehehe. I like the rush of creating something and the all-too-real peril of spectacular failure, hahaha! Wish they'd hurry with it, though. I'm actually excited to work there, weird considering I've never liked makati as a place to work in. I only like to go there to gad about. :)
 
Hey congrats! I read about them. Don't they do mph?
 
Thanks, Mark! Yup, MPH is I guess the flagship magazine but they're branching out into lifestyle magazines. That's where I'm supposed to be.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?