Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Aural fixations

1. My week so far has been crammed with work that I can't believe that it's just Thursday tomorrow! You mean, there are two more days to get through before it's the weekend?! Aaaaah! Sigh. Sometimes you just have to let it out. (See, this post was supposed to be up Monday, but because of my manic sked, it got pushed to Wednesday. Sue me.)

2. And to top it all off, there was a coup in Thailand! This reminds me of what a Thai guide told me a month or so back: That in Thailand, changing leaders or governments is really no biggie. If the people aren't satisfied with the current leadership, the military with the king's blessing stages a coup and boots out the offending leaders. Fast and easy.

3. I was at Cubao X last Saturday evening for Pablo's first year anniversary and watched some really cool emerging bands play. I wanna get all their CDs! Unlike a lot of people who download most of their song selections, I actually like owning CDs, although they take up space in my tiny place.

4. I don't know why I'm numbering the paragraphs in this entry. It's not a list. I don't know. I just couldn't figure out how to tie all my thoughts together into one coherent entry.

(For those who don't know what Cubao X and Pablo are: Cubao X is an artist/entrepreneur enclave where the Marikina Shoe Expo used to be. There are still shoe shops there, but about half have been replaced by thrift and curio shops, quirky art galleries, and other un-categorized shops. You have to go check it out to find out exactly what I mean. Anyway...)

Some of the bands I watched last Saturday night:
1. Drip. This band's been around for some two years now, and it's only recently that they've been getting major buzz, largely because their sound's unique--I guess the most apt term for it would be trip-hop and also because of their lead vocalist Beng Calma, who is, as one male friend described it, "smokin'!". Add a killer voice and a rapper and mixer in Caliph8, and this is one band that I'm hoping will really make it big-time--as in Eat Bulaga big-time, hehe. They deserve it--although I'm not sure they'd want that level of fame...They did a killer version of Apo Hiking Society's "Kabilugan ng Buwan" which is part of the tribute album to the trio. It's out in the stores now and I'm planning to get a copy soon, along with Drip's album Far Side of the World which is also out in the stores now.
2. Bagetsaphonics. This band's name is apt, since it's composed of fairly young dudes still in the angsty throes of taking-themselves-a-bit-too seriously-without-trying to-be-obvious-about-it, rock newbies are prone to. You know what I mean--a little too earnest, a little too rock-y, a little too everything. And they sound a bit like all the other young garage bands out there. I did like their cover version of Heart's "What About Love," though. Ann Wilson's anthemic stadium rock classic got transmogrified into a racuous rock song. Way cool.
3. Juan Pablo Dream. This is one fun band! How to describe them...Well, from their look, which is very 60s Mod, you'd think they'd be playing mellow 60s sounding music like Orange and Lemons, but they don't. The best I can say is that they sound like the early 60s British bands (think early Rolling Stones). I don't know. You just have to watch them to know this band rocks. Their album Soul Up! is now out. It goes on my list. Of course.

Comments:
hey, doing ok her. not great but ok. i'm bored crazy. cabin fever. and the tech stuff here is soooooo slow. i'll get internet on tuesday next week so hopefully i'll get news about the pinas faster. last night lang i heard about the coup in thailand. just goes to show how unbeleivabley irrelevant (for me,at least) the news here is for me. all we have is the e-coli contamination on the spinach thing. nothing about world affairs and stuff. and they abhor hugo chavez here. hahahaha because he called bush the devil. hahahaha i will no longer comment. i am a guest here and i will not cause trouble. see you guys!!!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?